I grew up in Florida where I lived for 35 years. About a year ago I moved to Salt Lake City (for work & adventure) and have been enjoying it so far
This page is inspired by Derek Sivers concept of a “now” page – a place that lists out exactly what I’m currently up to. If you’re interested in this idea, I encourage you to create one for yourself! You’ll be in good company with a bunch of others.
What I’m Doing Right Now
Last updated November 28, 2018.
- After giving notice at my job to leave by the end of 2018, I’m transitioning my role forward.
- Slowly dollar cost averaging the sales of a lot of company stock in a tax-efficient way (little under $1 million).
- Writing here on Minafi once or twice a week.
- Trying to learn more about search engine optimization (ahrefs is amazing).
- Learning more about data visualizations, D3, and storytelling with data.
- Getting ready to start going skiing in December!
- Going to CrossFit 2x to 3x a week.
- Playing through Red Dead Redemption 2.
- Figuring out what will make up my days when I stop working!
Past Few Months
Some highlights from the last few months:
- Gave notice at my job to leave by the end of 2018 (!) with 3 months notice.
- Visited family in Virginia for Thanksgiving.
- Spent a weekend in ion National park hiking with family in November 2018.
- Went to FinCon in September to geek out with other financial media people.
- Traveled to Scotland for a week in August 2018.
- Had our honeymoon in Southeast Asia for 2 weeks in February 2018.
- Moved to Salt Lake City in November 2017.
I’m a little bit goal oriented. For years I’ve created new years resolutions and tracked them, but also keep a loose list of goals that aren’t tied to specific dates or years. Having a single place to look at all of my current goals has been helpful for getting a refresher on them, and in order to make sure that’s still what I want. These have historically been on my personal site, but I’m moving towards organizing them here on Minafi instead.
Create a WordPress Themethis one is all custom! 8/16/2016 Start the Site8/16/2016 Create a logomost productive 15 minutes 6/17/2016 Ok, Really start the site6/17/2017 Create an Interactive Guide to FIRE9/2017 Create The Minimal Investor11/2017
- Start a guest post series (launching The Focused Investor in 1/2018!)
- Turn The Minimal Investor into a book
- Turn The Minimal Investor into an interactive article
- Get featured on a major news outlet
There are few places in the world we don’t want to go. As much as we love traveling, we always love coming home to a quiet, relaxing house. Here are some of the places on our list to travel to. I’m excluding some of these that I went to as a kid, in favor of going again as an adult with fresh eyes.
- Visit all 50 states
40 down! Alaska, Hawaii, North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconson, Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas, Iowa.
- Visit another country
1 countryCanada 5 countriesMexico, Haiti, Jamaica, Grand Cayman 10 countriesUK, France, Netherlands, Japan, Panama 15 countriesGermany, Finland, Estonia, Italy, Vatican City
- 20 countries Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia
- Visit all 7 continents
North America Europe Asia
- South America
- Florida (our home)
Disney Universal Florida Keys St. Pete/Tampa Miami St. Augustine
Atlanta Charleston New Orleans Ashville Richmond, VA Washington D.C. New York Chicago Austin San Francisco Las Vegas Salt Lake City Park City Portland Seattle
- Los Angeles
- Nature Areas & Parks
The Smoky Mountains, NC/TN Olympia National Park, WA Rocky Mountains, CO Zion National Park, UT (May 2018)
- Yellowstone National Park, WY (May 2019)
- Yosemite National Park, CA (2019?)
- Glacier National Park, MT (2019?)
- Bryce Canyon, UT (2019?)
- Arches National Park, UT (2019?)
- Dry Tortugas, FL
- Hawaii National Parks, HI
- Alaska National Parks, AK
Around the World
- Quebec City
- Mexico City
- Mayan Ruins
Puerto Rico West PR
- San Juan
- Galapagos Islands
- Rainforest of Brazil
Japan Tokyo Kyoto
- North Japan
- South Japan
Vietnam (2019) Laos (2019) Cambodia (2019)
- South Korea
- Hong Kong
- Australia Area
- Great Barrier Reef
- New Zealand
UK Scotland (2018) France
The Netherlands / Amsterdam Germany Italy Finland Estonia
I listen to a lot of audiobooks and enjoy watching TV entirely too much.
- Read all the books
- Read 100 books in a year (2019?)
Read 75 books in a year
- 78 in 2015
- 72 in 2016
- 66 in 2017 (so close!)
Read 50 books in a yearblew by it in 2015! Read 25 books in a year45 in 2013 44 in 2014
- Read all of NPR’s top 100 Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books ~55 done!
- Watch the top 250 Movies on the IMDB/RottenTomatoes cross movie list ~119 done!
Digitize Collections Paper / Journals Movies Music Photos Get Rid of Collections I don’t use Magic Cards Video Games & Systems Baseball Cards Postcards Mom’s Jewelry
- Reduce possessions down to only what I use
FI by 2020 (kind of in 2018!) Pay off my mortgage by 2022 (moved into an apt in 2017!)dd
- Keep Spending under control
- Get spending under $65k/yr
- Get spending under $55k/yr
I love CrossFit, but I don’t go enough (3x a week). I’ve been working towards goals for a while, but very casually. I threw my back out in late 2015, which left me struggling for a while to get back to where I was.
- Back Squat
200– July 2012 225– November 2013 250– May 2014
- Goal: 300 (twice my weight)
125– August 2015 135– April 2017
- Goal: 150 (bodyweight)
- Clean and Jerk
175– July 2015 185– June 2016
- Goal: 225 (1.5x bodyweight)
- Ring Muscle Ups
First kippingin October 2013.
- Goal: Strict muscle up
- Bar Muscle Ups
First kippingin October 2013.
- Goal: Strict muscle up
- Run a Mile
Under 7 Minutes
- Under 6:30 minutes
- Goal: Under 6 minutes
- Run a 5k
Under 30 minutes
- Under 28 minutes
- Goal: Under 25 minutes
- Handstand Walks
- 3-minute hold
1m walk2016 3m walk2016 6m walk8/9/17 10m walk9/2018
- 15m walk
- Goal: 50m walk!