I grew up in Florida where I lived for 35 years. About a year ago I moved to Salt Lake City (for work & adventure) and have been enjoying it so far.Read more about me.
This page is inspired by Derek Sivers concept of a “now” page – a place that lists out exactly what I’m currently up to. If you’re interested in this idea, I encourage you to create one for yourself! You’ll be in good company with a bunch of others.
What I’m Doing Right Now
Last updated April 24, 2019.
- I gave notice at my job recently and left it as of December 14, 2018.
- Revamping Minafi to a Ruby on Rails app that I love to work on. I wrote up a bit about the tech stack I’m using.
- Writing here on Minafi once or twice a week.
- Trying to learn more about search engine optimization (ahrefs is amazing).
- Learning more about data visualizations, D3, and storytelling with data.
- Running 4x a week, trying to build up to a half marathon (and eventually a marathon!).
- Trying to hike every week or two – aiming to hit all the major peaks and lakes in Salt Lake City.
- Attempting to get good at cooking one good dish each month. So far this has included various takes on chili, Ethiopian Doro Wat and Korean fried chicken.
- Figuring out what will make up my days when I stop working!
Past Few Months
Some highlights from the last few months:
- Had fun at FanX – SLC’s Comic-Con.
- Went skiing a bunch in Salt Lake City throughout the Winter.
- Left my job in December to retire.
- Visited family in Virginia for Thanksgiving.
- Spent a weekend in ion National park hiking with family in November 2018.
- Went to FinCon in September to geek out with other financial media people.
- Traveled to Scotland for a week in August 2018.
- Had our honeymoon in Southeast Asia for 2 weeks in February 2018.
- Moved to Salt Lake City in November 2017.
I’m a little bit goal oriented. For years I’ve created new years resolutions and tracked them, but also keep a loose list of goals that aren’t tied to specific dates or years. Having a single place to look at all of my current goals has been helpful for getting a refresher on them, and in order to make sure that’s still what I want. These have historically been on my personal site, but I’m moving towards organizing them here on Minafi instead.
Minafi was started in the summer of 2016 as a for fun side project to “explore the intersection of minimalism, mindfulness and financial independence”. It’s been more fun to write about these topics and talk with others interested in them than I ever imagined! I recently celebrated Minafi’s 1-year birthday and hope for many more.
Create a WordPress Themethis one is all custom! 8/16/2016
Start the Site8/16/2016
Create a logomost productive 15 minutes 6/17/2016
Ok, Really start the site6/17/2017
Create an Interactive Guide to FIRE9/2017
Create The Minimal Investor11/2017
Start a guest post series (launching The Focused Investor in 1/2018!)
- Turn The Minimal Investor into a book
- Turn The Minimal Investor into an interactive article
- Get featured on a major news outlet
There are few places in the world we don’t want to go. As much as we love traveling, we always love coming home to a quiet, relaxing house. Here are some of the places on our list to travel to. I’m excluding some of these that I went to as a kid, in favor of going again as an adult with fresh eyes.
- Visit all 50 states
40 down! Alaska, Hawaii, North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconson, Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas, Iowa.
- Visit another country
5 countriesMexico, Haiti, Jamaica, Grand Cayman
10 countriesUK, France, Netherlands, Japan, Panama
15 countriesGermany, Finland, Estonia, Italy, Vatican City
- 20 countries Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia
- Visit all 7 continents
North America Europe Asia
- South America
- Florida (our home)
Disney Universal Florida Keys St. Pete/Tampa Miami St. Augustine
Atlanta Charleston New Orleans Ashville Richmond, VA Washington D.C. New York Chicago Austin San Francisco Las Vegas
Salt Lake City Park City Portland Seattle
- Los Angeles
- Nature Areas & Parks
The Smoky Mountains, NC/TN Olympia National Park, WA Rocky Mountains, CO Zion National Park, UT (May 2018)
- Yellowstone National Park, WY (May 2019)
- Yosemite National Park, CA (2019?)
- Glacier National Park, MT (2019?)
- Bryce Canyon, UT (2019?)
- Arches National Park, UT (2019?)
- Dry Tortugas, FL
- Hawaii National Parks, HI
- Alaska National Parks, AK
Around the World
- Quebec City
- Mexico City
- Mayan Ruins
Puerto Rico West PR
- San Juan
- Galapagos Islands
- Rainforest of Brazil
Japan Tokyo Kyoto
- North Japan
- South Japan
Vietnam (2019) Laos (2019) Cambodia (2019)
- South Korea
- Hong Kong
- Australia Area
- Great Barrier Reef
- New Zealand
UK Scotland (2018)
The Netherlands / Amsterdam Germany Italy Finland Estonia
I listen to a lot of audiobooks and enjoy watching TV entirely too much.
- Read all the books
- Read 150 books in a year
Read 100 books in a year (2019)
Read 75 books in a year
- 78 in 2015
- 72 in 2016
- 66 in 2017 (so close!)
Read 50 books in a yearblew by it in 2015!
Read 25 books in a year45 in 2013 44 in 2014
- Read all of NPR’s top 100 Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books ~55 done!
- Watch the top 250 Movies on the IMDB/RottenTomatoes cross movie list ~119 done!
Digitize Collections Paper / Journals Movies Music Photos
Get Rid of Collections I don’t use Magic Cards Video Games & Systems Baseball Cards Postcards Mom’s Jewelry
- Reduce possessions down to only what I use (is this accomplishable, or a life-long pursuit?)
FI by 2020 (kind of in 2018!)
Pay off my mortgage by 2022 (moved into an apt in 2017!)dd
- Keep Spending under control
- Get spending under $65k/yr
I love CrossFit, but I don’t go enough (3x a week). I’ve been working towards goals for a while, but very casually. I threw my back out in late 2015, which left me struggling for a while to get back to where I was.
- Back Squat
200– July 2012
225– November 2013
250– May 2014
- Goal: 300 (twice my weight)
125– August 2015
135– April 2017
- Goal: 150 (bodyweight)
- Clean and Jerk
175– July 2015
185– June 2016
- Goal: 225 (1.5x bodyweight)
- Ring Muscle Ups
First kippingin October 2013.
- Goal: Strict muscle up
- Bar Muscle Ups
First kippingin October 2013.
- Goal: Strict muscle up
- Run a Mile
Under 7 Minutes
- Under 6:30 minutes
- Goal: Under 6 minutes
- Run a 5k
Under 30 minutes
- Under 28 minutes
- Goal: Under 25 minutes
- Run a marathon
- Run 10.5k (April 2019)
- Run 21k (Half Marathon)
- Run 31.5k
- Run 42k (Marathon)
- Handstand Walks
- 3-minute hold
- 15m walk
- Goal: 50m walk!